Date: 2/1/19 3:32 pm
From: H Nicolay <sqrlma...>
Subject: Re: [VTBIRD] Horned grebe question
Hi all. A bit off topic but in case someone is interested in the Horned
Grebe story. It was stranded in the parking lot at the bank of Middlebury
on Seymour street. Perhaps its spot in Otter Creek finally froze over? Some
people advised to just leave it alone but a kind Samaritan scooped it up,
put it inside her purse and brought it to me (after multiple calls to
various rehab facilities). Fish eater, right? George, the owner of the bait
shop on Silver Street in Hinesburg generously donated a bucketful of
minnows. Back at my house and Grebe in large tub of water, I started
dumping in the fish. This mini-me of diving waterfowl voraciously ate as
many minnows as I threw in. He started to associate the minnow net with
food. The little thing is as cute as anything. Tomorrow I drive to harbor
road in Shelburne and hopefully find open water to release it in. Tomorrow
I also flight test two Barred owls that arrived in horrible post car crash
shape. Happy birding (in one's bathtub, aviary or on the lake). Helena.
North stream wildlife rescue. Monkton.

On Fri, Feb 1, 2019, 10:00 AM Kent McFarland <kmcfarland...>
wrote:

> Here are Horned Grebe locations for this year from Vermont eBird.
>
> https://ebird.org/vt/map/horgre?neg=true&env.minX=-78.32915754687497&env.minY=41.87028106910654&env.maxX=-66.57378645312497&env.maxY=45.82947320197891&zh=true&gp=false&ev=Z&mr=1-12&bmo=1&emo=12&yr=cur
>
> Kent
> ____________________________
>
> Kent McFarland
> Vermont Center for Ecostudies
> PO Box 420 | Norwich, Vermont 05055
> 802.649.1431 x201
> @KPMcFarland <https://twitter.com/KPMcFarland>
> Visit the Vermont Atlas of Life <http://val.vtecostudies.org>
> <https://vtecostudies.org/>
>

> On Fri, Feb 1, 2019 at 9:57 AM H Nicolay <sqrlma...> wrote:
>
> > Hi all. A horned grebe arriving soon from hinesburg. Anybody know of open
> > water on the lake where other grebes are present? Thanks. Helena. North
> > Stream wildlife rescue.

Join us on Facebook!