Date: 1/31/19 6:41 pm
From: Patrick and Christine Tamborra via CTBirds <ctbirds...>
Subject: [CT Birds] Great Skua?
A bit after noon, I walked out to southwest end of Ocean Beach in New London, hoping to see Purple Sandpipers. A few were present with lots of eider, brant, gulls, Canada's, etc. Suddenly, all the gulls took to flight. I looked and saw a large heavy looking brown bird coming in from east. A few weeks ago, someone claimed the saw a Skua, I then studied the bird, not too sure one was really seen. I looked for white patches in primaries, yes obvious. The bird looked heavier and seemed a bit larger than the gulls, mostly Herrings. It was overall brown. It seemed to be chasing some of the gulls, wheeled about a bit and disappeared to the west towards Waterford Town Beach. I am sure after looking at Sibley and other sources that it was a Great Skua. Seen in New London at a bit after noon. No photos, I tried but lighting and movement well beyond my and my Rebels ability.