Date: 1/31/19 5:37 pm
From: <hilton...> <hilton...>
Subject: Hilton Pond 01/01/19 (Watching--And Reporting--Birds)
Unusually cold weather the past few days has brought flocks of birds to our feeders, but even earlier in the month Hilton Pond Center was graced by a remarkably diverse avian assortment. For a look at how many species showed up this first month of the year and to view photos of many of them, please check out the 1-31 Jan 2019 installment of "This Week at Hilton Pond" (our 686th photo essay). We also muse on the history of nature observations and make suggestions about how to report your own bird sightings, especially since the annual Great Backyard Bird Count is coming up.

As usual, we include a tally of all birds banded during the period--there were a LOT of them--accompanied by a list of some amazing "old" finches and sparrows that returned to the Center again this winter. Recent donors to our non-profit are also acknowledged.

To view the photo essay--published precisely on time, maybe for the first time ever!--just visit this link: https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__www.hiltonpond.org_ThisWeek190101.html&d=DwIFAg&c=imBPVzF25OnBgGmVOlcsiEgHoG1i6YHLR0Sj_gZ4adc&r=ymRCw6Q-sBitug_rdeO1Tokz-I_SX2LQN2_Ocvlal9U&m=vo8nxfaTpDDMcjUGLlGZeRahHN1lOZeI4GKmZM-7xak&s=Tq_kDzv5w3t7qgxNRNzUPqfM-_4_VENANqazUb71O7k&e= <https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__www.hiltonpond.org_ThisWeek190101.html&d=DwIFAg&c=imBPVzF25OnBgGmVOlcsiEgHoG1i6YHLR0Sj_gZ4adc&r=ymRCw6Q-sBitug_rdeO1Tokz-I_SX2LQN2_Ocvlal9U&m=vo8nxfaTpDDMcjUGLlGZeRahHN1lOZeI4GKmZM-7xak&s=Tq_kDzv5w3t7qgxNRNzUPqfM-_4_VENANqazUb71O7k&e=>

Happy (Mid-winter) Nature Watching!

BILL

Please "Like" our new Facebook pages at https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__www.facebook.com_HiltonPond&d=DwIFAg&c=imBPVzF25OnBgGmVOlcsiEgHoG1i6YHLR0Sj_gZ4adc&r=ymRCw6Q-sBitug_rdeO1Tokz-I_SX2LQN2_Ocvlal9U&m=vo8nxfaTpDDMcjUGLlGZeRahHN1lOZeI4GKmZM-7xak&s=PYwBh_Ip7YA_80l7zB8GXC_i6DLdIjW798TemXGLctU&e= for timely updates on nature topics,
and for info about hummingbirds at https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__www.facebook.com_rubythroats&d=DwIFAg&c=imBPVzF25OnBgGmVOlcsiEgHoG1i6YHLR0Sj_gZ4adc&r=ymRCw6Q-sBitug_rdeO1Tokz-I_SX2LQN2_Ocvlal9U&m=vo8nxfaTpDDMcjUGLlGZeRahHN1lOZeI4GKmZM-7xak&s=X0_QekeE6JQmP_juhL1wb_t-xZn7RnNHkinlH7thrOA&e=

Follow us on Twitter @hiltonpond

========

DR. BILL HILTON JR., Executive Director
office & cell (803) 684-5852

The mission of Hilton Pond Center for Piedmont Natural History is "to conserve plants, animals, habitats, and other natural components of the Piedmont Region of the eastern United States through observation, scientific study, and education for students of all ages.

"Never trust a person too lazy to get up for sunrise or too busy to watch the sunset." BHjr.

Join us on Facebook!