Date: 1/31/19 9:31 am
From: <lathrotriccus...>
Subject: Re: [LACoBirds] Brookside Park
I don't know if it's my imagination, but I think I'm hearing local (Santa
Monica Mtns. area) nuthatches give the rapid-fire call more than in years
past. There was a talk at the recent Western Field Ornithologists
conference on local dialect changes in bird calls (by the young Andrew
Floyd), which mentioned an increase in a particular call type of Bushtits.
Now that I'm living with WBNU as a daily yard bird, maybe I'm more in tune
with such things. I think I'm also noticing the "weep" call of Hermit
Thrushes more, but again, just impressions, not data.

Dan Cooper
Ventura Co.

--
Daniel S. Cooper