Date: 1/30/19 6:22 pm
From: Kimball Garrett <kgarrett...>
Subject: Re: [LACoBirds] Brookside Park
Birders,

Just to follow up on this report. As most birders know, the interior west
White-breasted Nuthatches (Sitta carolinensis lagunae group) are vocally
and genetically (but only subtly morphologically) distinct from the Pacific
Coast aculeata group. Although "Interior" birds have been documented in
adjacent counties (Kern, Ventura), there are no documented records for Los
Angeles County. Probably 100+ birders have gone to Brookside Park to see
the flashy Painted Redstart, but an interior White-breasted Nuthatch would
be a much more significant record. I suppose you could even say it is
rarer than a Red-flanked Bluetail (which, after all, had one previous
county record). So I urge folks to check this out and to be prepared to
record vocalizations with their cell phones (or recording equipment if
available).

Kimball

Kimball L. Garrett
Ornithology Collections Manager
900 Exposition Blvd.
Los Angeles, CA 90007 USA
213-763-3368
<kgarrett...>

On Wed, Jan 30, 2019 at 6:06 PM rogerschoedl via Groups.Io <rogerschoedl=
<aol.com...> wrote:

> I went on my lunchtime walk through Brookside Park in Pasadena today.
>
> The wintering PAINTED REDSTART continues in the dead Coulter pine at the
> top of the slope east of the Aquatic Center.
>
> Also noteworthy was a White-breasted Nuthatch calling "yididididid"
> sounded very like an interior west (tenuissima) type to me. It was working
> the euc next to the vine covered bandstand and the oaks to the east. It
> called only intermittently but was much more audible than a Pacific
> (aculeata) type calling upslope to the east. A second aculeata was in the
> pine with the redstart. I previously only heard aculeata types in the park
> on walks this season so this nuthatch seems to be a new arrival. Local
> birders who find this of interest may want to obtain recordings.
>
> Roger Schoedl
> Huntington Beach

-=-=-
Group Owner: LACoBirds+<owner...>