Date: 1/29/19 6:52 pm
From: Stephen Broker via CTBirds <ctbirds...>
Subject: [CT Birds] COA and the 2019 Annual Meeting
Dear Fellow Birders,

Some three weeks ago the Connecticut Ornithological Association board sent out renewal letters to our membership for the new calendar year. Also enclosed were the president’s message (reproduced below), and the schedule and registration form for the March 23, 2019 COA Annual Meeting. We meet again this year at Middlesex Community College in Middletown for the annual meeting. Most years we have an attendance of at least 200 birders. Several years ago the registrations were sufficiently high that we reached capacity for the auditorium and had to close the registration process. Since then and in deference to our membership we have accepted early registration forms for COA members. The general registration period opens to all on February 16, so look for the registration form to appear then on the COA website.

Once again, we have an outstanding schedule for the annual meeting, linked to the home page at ctbirding.org <http://ctbirding.org/>. There is one set charge for the meeting, with lunch provided for all. This new approach was decided by the COA board after extensive discussion about the size and extent of the menu and the desire to keep registration costs down. We hope that you agree with these changes. The COA officers and board look forward to seeing you on March 23 at Middlesex Community College for what should prove to be another significant gathering of the birding community.

If you have not joined COA and would like to become a member of this statewide organization, I encourage you to give it your consideration. Membership information is available on the COA website: http://www.ctbirding.org/join/ <http://www.ctbirding.org/join/>

Best regards, and good birding!

Steve Broker
Cheshire

Here’s the letter we sent out earlier in January:

Dear Connecticut Ornithological Association Members,

The COA is an all-volunteer not-for-profit organization that strives to promote interest in Connecticut birds and to publish scientifically accurate information about them. Our main strength is our membership and your collective knowledge of birds and their habitats in Connecticut. Through your support and participation we will continue to provide the quality bird related programming, list-serves, and materials to which the state’s birding community has become accustomed. I hope that you will continue to play a key role in our mission by renewing your membership for 2019. Here are some of the highlights that we look forward to this year:

The Connecticut Warbler, the state journal of ornithology that we publish quarterly, will carry articles on the behavior, status, and distribution of birds, the Christmas Bird Count, the Summer Bird Count, the Fall Hawk Watch, Connecticut field notes, photo challenges, and current research on our birds.
The quarterly COA Bulletin will provide key information on statewide bird count schedules, timely articles on a variety of birding issues, and lots of photos of recent bird sightings.
The COA website will continue its forum on current bird sightings and discussions of bird related topics. Its calendar provides an essential listing of birding events in the state.
The Avian Records Committee of Connecticut maintains the official Connecticut bird checklist and reviews reports of rare sightings for inclusion on the list.
The Mini-Grant program will continue to provide financial support for projects that benefit Connecticut’s birds, and the Zepko Audubon Camp Scholarship will send a student to Hog Island in Maine for a week of bird study.
COA’s Workshops Committee will offer a number of focused workshops by expert leaders around the state and through the year.
COA will continue its important collaborations with the Connecticut Department of Energy and Environmental Protection as we advocate for state bird populations and sound conservation management practices at state parks and forests.
Our Research Committee will continue its projects on Long island Sound and increase outreach to other natural history organizations and outdoor focus groups.
COA is already providing key support for the new Connecticut Bird Atlas both in terms of organizational assistance and financial contributions.

On Saturday, March 23, 2019 we host our COA Annual Meeting at Middlesex Community College in Middletown. Once again, we have an outstanding lineup for the meeting. Speakers are: Eric Hanson, loon biologist with Vermont Center for Ecostudies, COA founding member Jeff Spendelow on endangered Roseate Terns, and Frank Gallo, author of the newly published Birding in Connecticut. [COA members only received the following: The registration form for the annual meeting is enclosed here along with your membership renewal form.] On behalf of the officers and board of the Connecticut Ornithological Association, I wish you good birding in the new year and look forward to seeing you in the field and at the annual meeting.

Steve Broker, President