Date: 1/29/19 10:37 am
From: Jeffrey Climpson <jkgreenwing...>
Subject: [JERSEYBI] Barnacle Goose - Yes
After successfully seeing the stunning Townsend's Warbler (as well as
the Rough-winged Swallows and an Eastern Phoebe) yesterday, January 28th,
in Trenton at the sewage plant, I tried for the Barnacle Goose in Allentown
at the Millpond there at around 4:30pm. I was unsuccessful, although I
heard it was spotted earlier in the day as well as shortly after I was
there. I also dipped on the Cackling Geese, although all the geese were
kind of jumpy and hard to scan.
I returned to the Allentown Millpond today, January 29th, at around
10:30am, but there were very few geese on the pond, I guess because it was
mostly iced up. Consequently, I decided to drive over to Assunpink WMA to
see what I could see instead. Lo and behold, at the corner of Herbert Road
and County Route 539, there was a large flock of Canada Geese on the sod
field and, in the midst of it, was the Barnacle Goose. What a handsome
bird!
Unfortunately, I couldn't find the previously reported Trumpeter Swans
at Assunpink Lake, just three Mute Swans and a passel of Common Mergs and a
few assorted other waterfowl. Much of the lake is covered now in at least
thin ice.

Jeff Climpson
Flemington, NJ

or e-mail to <njbrcreport...>