Date: 1/29/19 9:51 am
From: Kenneth J. Brock <kj.brock...>
Subject: [IN-BIRD-L] Cold morning on the lakefront

This morning (29 Jan 2019) I spent an unusually cold morning on the lakefront. The “mobile” ice cover has now moved to the Beverly Shores lakefront, as a result of the brisk SW winds. Better results occurred at Portage Lakefront Park and the Port of Indiana.

At Portage the wind forced ice into the northern 2/3 of the bay, moving the duck flock much closer to the parking lot (in the 4 degree wind I birded only from the vehicle). Highlights included all three scoters (new for me was the presence of two female Blacks) and five Great Black-backed Gulls (3 adults & 2 first-cycle).

The reverse ice condition occurred at the Port of Indiana. The wind had pushed virtually all of the ice out of the harbor. Saturday’s duck flock was still present, but not readily visible due to “Arctic Sea Smoke,” (rising steam). My best birds included a small flock of Long-tailed Ducks (one adult male and two females) that were near the restroom area.

A frigid, but rewarding morning.

Ken Brock
Chesterton

Join us on Facebook!