Date: 1/29/19 4:33 am
From: DNADEB <dsg4...>
Subject: Re: Over-wintering Golden Eagle in Armstrong County
You may already be aware of the following but others may not. Trish Miller did her dissertation on Golden Eagles and her work and others well over a decade has shown GOEA overwinter in PA and other sites in the Appalachians.
She, Lanzone, Katzner and others have published their work in journals.
Here is one non-scientific article.

https://pittsburghquarterly.com/pq-environment/pq-nature/item/1516-golden-eagle-high-wild-and-here.html

Upcoming talk unfortunately not close.

https://www.capemaycountyherald.com/community/article_42d54852-2827-11e8-a8e1-bbdfcefb00f3.html

Finding a Golden Eagle overwintering in Armstrong County may be a first and of great interest to those who have been monitoring them.
Deb Grove.

Sent from my iPhone

> On Jan 28, 2019, at 11:48 PM, Alan Buriak <a_buriak...> wrote:
>
> Hello all,
>
> An interesting thing to share... A subadult Golden Eagle was found by Sam Gutherie back on November 20th in the Shay area of Armstrong County hunting the fields around Ardale Rd. The bird was well observed and photographed on the 20th and 21st by Sam and by myself, however despite later attempts by several additional birders, it was never seen after November 21st. At that time it seemed perfectly reasonable that the bird had simply made a rare migration stopover in an area usually considered to be west of the normal migration routes, and that it had moved on and continued its southward journey. Incredibly, today, Mark McConaughy, while running his winter raptor survey route, encountered and photographed an immature Golden Eagle on Rt 2020 east of Garrett's Run Rd, which would be only about a mile away from the Ardale Rd location from November. The assumption of course is that this is the same Golden Eagle that we had observed just before Thanksgiving, and that this bird indeed has chosen this area of Armstrong County to over-winter! How common is it for a Golden Eagle to over-winter in Pennsylvania? I had always assumed that they probably did, however only in the central ridge areas of the state.
>
> Good birding,
> Alan Buriak

Join us on Facebook!