Date: 1/28/19 7:56 pm
From: Ben S <benrmnp...>
Subject: [cobirds] Re: Magpie Musings & Questions - Denver / Arapahoe
Hi Jared and all.

I also notice magpies relatively absent from central Denver. Currently, I
go to college at Auraria Campus (next to downtown) going on my second
semester. There are some open areas and some nice trees. During migration
I've had some nice migrants like Clay-colored Sparrow, Lark Sparrow, and
Wilson's Warbler. However, the campus has virtually no birds in the winter.
But, I have had Yellow-rumpeds there this winter, including this morning.
What's missing? Magpies. No reports from the "Auraria Campus" hotspot on
ebird.

However, as far as Blue Jays vs Magpies in my yard, I've had the opposite
expierence. Blue Jays are seen in multiple numbers every day I watch.
However, magpies are uncommonly seen in my yard. I have seen them year
round, however, rarely in the summer. They seem to be a winter visitor in
my yard for whatever reason.

Ben Sampson
Centennial, CO