Date: 1/28/19 4:29 pm
Subject: Nashville Warbler, Ft. Moultrie, SC
While looking for the Wilson’s Warbler found recently at Ft. Moultrie Nat’l Monument on Sullivan’s Island, SC, a Nashville Warbler made an appearance. Over a short time it worked the long grassy field, bordering treeline, and back in the field. It chipped often, and the light was great while viewing from the mowed path along the treeline. I saw one of the continuing Western Kingbirds as well, but I missed the Wilson’s and recent Grasshopper Sparrows.

While looking for all the goodies here I’d like to encourage folks to consider limiting their use of playback. I believe NPS has their own guidelines that restrict this. It is also a fairly heavily birded area which brings in the ABA code of ethics. Later on this afternoon I thought I heard the Wilson’s Warbler singing at one point, but it turned out to be a cell phone blasting it repeatedly from down the path. I certainly use playback in certain situations, and all I’m suggesting is judicious use.

Keith McCullough
Charleston, SC

Join us on Facebook!