Date: 1/27/19 6:07 pm
From: O Connell, Tim <tim.oconnell...>
Subject: Noble County wanderings
Hello OKBirders,

Like a lot of you, even I got out for some birding on this lovely spring day! I decided to hit some spots in Noble County that I don’t normally get to, so I cruised around the Otoe Plains just west of Sooner Lake and ended up at Lake Perry just west of I-35 for I started heading back to Stillwater. I was mostly looking for shrikes (found none). I find some other neat things, though. My personal highlight was a little group of 5 LeConte’s Sparrows that I flushed (one at a time) from a little patch of native grass at Lake Perry.

Here are a few eBird checklists from me. Good birding,
~Tim O’Connell
Stillwater

Otoe Plains North, Noble, Oklahoma, US
Jan 27, 2019 9:30 AM - 10:20 AM
6.0 mile(s)
Comments: Cruised around looking for shrikes today; didn't find a one. Found some other cool stuff, though.
19 species

Snow Goose 3
Cackling Goose 86
Canada Goose 800
Gadwall 10
American Wigeon 1
Mallard 3
Ring-necked Duck 2
Hooded Merganser 2
Northern Harrier 2
Sharp-shinned Hawk 1
Red-tailed Hawk 1
American Kestrel 1
American Crow 7
Carolina Chickadee 2
European Starling 1
American Tree Sparrow 4
Song Sparrow 3
Western Meadowlark 9
Eastern Meadowlark 13

View this checklist online at https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S52107417

Sooner Lake--Ranch Rd., Noble, Oklahoma, US
Jan 27, 2019 10:30 AM - 10:50 AM
11 species

Cackling Goose 6
Canada Goose 22
American Wigeon 3
Mallard 60
Green-winged Teal 8
Common Goldeneye 1
Ring-billed Gull 12
Double-crested Cormorant 1
Northern Harrier 1
Bald Eagle 1 immature – dark overall with white mottling in wing linings
Red-bellied Woodpecker 1

View this checklist online at https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S52107689

Otoe Plains South, Noble, Oklahoma, US
Jan 27, 2019 10:40 AM - 11:20 AM
5.0 mile(s)
8 species

Bald Eagle 1 immature – all dark with white linings; quite possibly the same individual seen about 20 minutes' previous at 177/Ranch Rd.
Red-tailed Hawk 1
American Kestrel 1
Horned Lark 35
Smith's Longspur 2
Savannah Sparrow 2
Western Meadowlark 11
Eastern Meadowlark 8

View this checklist online at https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S52108150

Lake Perry, Noble, Oklahoma, US
Jan 27, 2019 12:00 PM - 1:00 PM
1.0 mile(s)
17 species

Canada Goose 9
Common Merganser 40
Ring-billed Gull 16
Herring Gull 3
Double-crested Cormorant 21
Red-tailed Hawk 3 2 Eastern Redtails, 1 Harlan's
Hairy Woodpecker 1
American Crow 3
Bewick's Wren 1 Have video of Bewick's Wren scolding me, with a Ruby-crowned Kinglet for a sidekick. Sadly, video would not load.
Ruby-crowned Kinglet 1
Eastern Bluebird 2
Northern Mockingbird 1
European Starling 168
Dark-eyed Junco 2
LeConte's Sparrow 5 All flushed one at a time at a distance of 2–3 m. Birds were in Little Bluestem, Broomsedge Bluestem, and Prairie Three-Awn patch and then flew to the Blackberry bramble in the photo. Did not have very well lit views of any of them, but one was seen well in silhouette, constantly flicking its wings. Another was lit well enough for me to see the plain, buffy breast and sparse, distinct streaks down the flanks.
Song Sparrow 2
Yellow-rumped Warbler 2

View this checklist online at https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S52109567

Join us on Facebook!