Date: 1/27/19 5:51 pm
From: Florence Sanchez via Groups.Io <sanchezucsb11=<yahoo.com...>
Subject: [sbcobirding] Lake Cachuma today
I took the nature cruise this morning.  I wanted to get out on the Lake while the weather continues to be nice, and it was a gorgeous day--warm, no wind, beautiful viewing conditions.
Our best sighting was two immature bald eagles, one of them blue-tagged with the number 99.  Our naturalist said that is "Corazon," who was part of the restoration project on the northern (our) Channel Islands.  This is her second winter at the Lake.
We also saw 7-8 White Pelicans, most of them single individuals on various parts of the lake.  The naturalist said their winter population this year is about 12.  There was n't much variety in waterfowl, but we saw a lot, most of it large Grebes.  Western Grebes were the most numerous until we got to Santa Cruz bay, where we had a lot more Clark's Grebe's.  There were only a few gulls out and most of them were Ring-billed, but one sitting on a buoy near the dock was an adult Herring Gull.  A single tree swallow flew over while I was eating my lunch up on shore after the cruise.
Florence Sanchez

View/Reply Online (#28378): https://sbcobirding.groups.io/g/main/message/28378
-=-=-
-=-=-