Date: 1/27/19 3:35 pm
From: DAVID A LEATHERMAN <daleatherman...>
Subject: [cobirds] Prospect Ponds Natural Area, Fort Collins (Larimer) geese on 1/26/2019
In the pond just south of Prospect Road on the east side of Sharp Point Drive by the feedlot are a few thousand geese currently. Most are Cackling Geese (75%?), a few hundred are Canada Geese plus the following:

1 White-fronted Goose

[cid:cf523bf0-309a-4ebd-95ba-319d266c1bc4]

3 Hybrids.
[cid:bdc4f76b-b3f7-4b5f-b667-9724c2fc2094]

I would appreciate any comments as to parentage of the hybrids. It would be nice if we could start a repository (CFO webpage?) for hybrid photos, especially when there is reasonable certainty of the two species involved. The field guides do not cover this issue very well and I almost think we need a separate field guide devoted to hybrids (all taxa, not just waterfowl), at least combinations that are distinctive and occur with regularity. I know several birders among us have a considerable number of hybrid photographs and they would be very useful if archived, labeled and made accessible. Just a thought.

Dave Leatherman
Fort Collins