Date: 1/27/19 9:18 am
From: Ellie George <elgeorge46...>
Subject: Re: [VTBIRD] Common Buckthorn
In winter, consuming "naked calories", or any calories, can be a good thing. The sugar in the buckthorn fruits can be burned for energy or converted to fat for later energy. It is also possible that there may be more nutrition in the fruits than just sugar, and the mature buckthorn fruit is supposed to be digested slower, allowing more time for enzymes to work.

I am not suggesting that buckthorn is a positive addition to the landscape of the northeast, since it outcompetes many native shrubs that are part of the complexity of the ecosystem. I am suggesting that buckthorn helps fruit-eating birds survive the winter, and is not completely useless in the ecosystem.

Ellie George
Paradox, NY