Date: 1/27/19 8:57 am
From: Bob Fowles <rbf...>
Subject: WRS 2019 Mifflin County Kishacoquillas (Big) Valley Route
Winter Raptor Survey, Kishacoquillas (Big) Valley Route, Mifflin County
Saturday 01/26/2019

Observers: Louie Peight, Amos Swarey, Stephen Swarey, Bob Fowles (driver)

Start time: 9:45 Stop time: 16:45
Total time surveying: 7 Hours

Miles on route: 69
54 Total raptors

31 Red-tails (13 AD, 18 ND)
15 Kestrels (3 M, 5 F, 7 ND)
1 Red-shouldered (1 AD)
3 Bald Eagles (2 AD, 1 IMM)

1 Sharp-shinned (imm)
1 Cooper’s (1 AD)
1 Peregrine (1 AD)
1 Unidentified raptor

Avg Temp: 25F
Avg Sky: cloudy
Avg Wind: light
Avg Snow: 3”

Comments: As we were having lunch in a spot overlooking the valley, the immature Bald Eagle (a 2nd year bird) flew toward us and circled overhead. The two adult Bald Eagles were perched side-by-side in a tree in an area where we have seen them in past years.

After watching the Peregrine perched for several minutes, we saw it fly away. During the latter part of the route, we passed within a mile of the first sighting and watched a Peregrine eating a Mourning Dove. We assume it was the same Peregrine. During the past few weeks, two or three people reported seeing a Peregrine in Big Valley.

Other species: GB Heron, Horned Lark, Rock Pigeon, Starling, Mourning Dove, Crow, Raven, Mallard, Eastern Bluebird, Blue Jay, Junco, Downy Woodpecker

Route Description: Front Mt Road, Back Mt Road, and connecting roads between Front and Back Mt Roads and Rte 655. All areas are east of the Huntingdon line (.7 mi west of Zook Rd on 655) and west of US 322.

[AD=adult, IMM=immature, M=male, F=female, ND=Not Determined]

Join us on Facebook!