Date: 1/27/19 7:47 am
From: alison wagner <alikatofvt...>
Subject: Re: [VTBIRD] Common Buckthorn
FYI continued:

I have been successfully killing buckthorn without chemicals for years. Fortunately, on my property, the plants are not huge, still manageable but it is time consuming. Buckthorn is easy to find in the spring as it's one of the first to put out leaves. I rip all the leaves off the plant then mark the plant with surveyor tape so I can return in a few weeks to strip it again. If I am persistent, and do this a few times each growing season, the tree dies within a few years. So far I've found that all the shoots a plant sends up around the base of the trunk also seem to get exhausted and starve from my torture. Also, I look around the base of pine trees where I have found HUNDREDS of tiny buckthorns. When the birds perch and expel the seeds, it is usually around the trunk of these mature trees. I feed the tiny plants to my neighbor's goats who love them. In the fall, once most plants have shed their leaves, buckthorn are still holding onto theirs, so I go back out for an!
other round of hunting and weeding tiny plants....while wearing blazing orange during hunting season! This is part of the land management plan (managing invasives) so I see it as a break in tax rate is my earned pay. And knowing bird and mammals are not filling their bellies with what I call "naked calories" makes it worth the effort.

Ali
Huntington