Date: 1/26/19 3:37 pm
From: Paul Plotnick via CTBirds <ctbirds...>
Subject: Re: [CT Birds] Recommendation for Florida birding trip
We got down here on 1/15. No red tide so far in January in Venice and
surrounding West Coast areas. I'm sensitive as well. Have done extensive
birding down here for many years. Sanibel Ding Darling Refuge is a must.
You can bird from your car. No possibility of red tide. On Captiva Island
Beach just north of Sanibel, I've seen and photographed aberrant Laughing
Gulls with orange beaks and legs. I thought I had something rare.
Babcock-Webb near Ft. Myers has a colony of Red-Cockaded WPs. I've not seen
them. Yet. Corkscrew Swamp is the biggest birding area but what you'll see
depends on the water level. Celery Fields in Sarasota has many marsh birds,
ducks, egrets, occasional Spoonbills. February is the best month as
Grackles and Red-Winged BBs fly in to nest and claim their territories.
Oscar Scherer State Park on Rte. 41 between Sarasota and Nokomis has 2 or 3
families of the endangered Scrub Jays so tame they will actually perch on
you if you let them. The Rookery in Venice hs many heron, Egret and Anhinga
nests, all being photographed daily. There are many more areas here like
Ollie's Pond in Port Charlotte (similar to 14-Acre Pond in CT), Pinecraft
Park, etc. Ft. DeSoto in St. Pete has shore birds as does St. Pete harbor
for Marbled Godwits, Western Sandpipers and Dunlin.There are many birding
trips all winter long down here sponsored by various Audubon groups. The
east Coast has 2 great areas with concentrated birds-Wakodahatchee Wetlands
and Green Cay in Delray are a haven for photographers because you see
things close up - nesting birds in particular. Feel free to email me for
more details if you come down here.

Paul