Date: 1/26/19 1:57 pm
From: Andrew Wolfe <jawwolfe...>
Subject: [IN-BIRD-L] Birding NW Salamonie Lake Area: Towhees, Sapsucker, and C Waxwing
Nice crisp morning to walk around NW Salamonie. Hunters scarce so I was
finally able to visit 5 Ponds this winter as was not disappointed, finding
3 towhees (2 seen 3 calling), C waxwing, and a ton of cardinals and
sparrows. Notable was 10 Swamp Sparrows. I noticed some water seeping from
one of the ponds. Also got to hear one of my favorite bird songs: WT
Sparrows which were very numerous. There is corn left from harvesting and
birds were thick. Very icy roads throughout made for a tense drive and
difficult walking. At Salamonie St. Forest I saw my 2nd YB Sapsucker for
the winter very near the spot I saw my first, close to Hominy Ridge but
across the dike. My favorite spot at Dora was occupied by hunters with
dogs so I passed that up.

Andrew Wolfe
Andrews, IN (Huntington Co)

Salamonie--5 ponds, Wabash, Indiana, US
Jan 26, 2019 8:28 AM - 9:41 AM
Protocol: Traveling
1.693 mile(s)
Comments: Cloudy cold 12 to 15 deg
20 species

Mourning Dove 5
Red-shouldered Hawk 1 Heard
Red-bellied Woodpecker 3
Downy Woodpecker 3
Northern Flicker 3
Blue Jay 6
American Crow 5
Carolina Chickadee 2
White-breasted Nuthatch 2
Carolina Wren 1
American Robin 2
Cedar Waxwing 1
American Goldfinch 12
American Tree Sparrow 10
Dark-eyed Junco 10
White-throated Sparrow 15
Song Sparrow 6
Swamp Sparrow 10 All had no wing bars no streaking and gray nape
Eastern Towhee 3 Saw two and heard three
Northern Cardinal 30

View this checklist online at https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S52057731

Salamonie River State Forest, Wabash, Indiana, US
Jan 26, 2019 10:00 AM - 10:44 AM
Protocol: Traveling
1.104 mile(s)
Comments: Cloudy and cold about 15 deg
11 species

Yellow-bellied Sapsucker 1 Along trail from hominy ridge past the
dike. Heard call then got a good look. On pine tree.
Red-headed Woodpecker 1
Red-bellied Woodpecker 3
Downy Woodpecker 1
Hairy Woodpecker 1
American Crow 2
Carolina Chickadee 3
Tufted Titmouse 3
White-breasted Nuthatch 2
Carolina Wren 2
Golden-crowned Kinglet 2

View this checklist online at https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S52057631

Salamonie Dam - Corps of Engineers, Wabash, Indiana, US
Jan 26, 2019 9:49 AM - 9:54 AM
Protocol: Traveling
0.099 mile(s)
9 species