Date: 1/26/19 12:42 pm
From: Kenneth J. Brock <kj.brock...>
Subject: [IN-BIRD-L] Lakefront 26-Jan-2019 Two adult male Surf Scoters
Today (26-Jan-2018) our regular group of John Cassady, Randy Pals, and Lynn Vernon was joined by Roger L. Hedge. Delightful to again bird with Roger.

The morning temperature was near zero degrees F, but the day proved sunny with little wind. As ice is rapidly topping Lake Michigan we had hoped for a few good gulls, but had to settle for better than average waterfowl, with 16 species of ducks.

—WHITING REFINERY BEACH (visibility was seriously limited by steam)
Greater Scaup,40
Common Goldeneye,6
Common Merganser,5
Red-breasted Merganser,70
Herring Gull,8
Great Black-backed Gull,3- 2 adults & a first-cycle
American Tree Sparrow,2

—ROXANA POND
Canada Goose,300
Gadwall,3
American Black Duck,2
Mallard,40
Redhead,13
Greater Scaup,1 fem
Lesser Scaup,1
Common Goldeneye,2
Hooded Merganser,5
Common Merganser,5
Herring Gull,15
Great Black-backed Gull,1 adult

—PORTAGE LAKEFRONT PARK
Surf Scoter,1 adult male
White-winged Scoter,9
Common Goldeneye,114
Bufflehead,3
Common Merganser,18
Red-breasted Merganser,8
Herring Gull,5
Great Black-backed Gull,1 adult

—PORT OF INDIANA (iced over except in two small areas both of which were choked with ducks)
Canvasback,4- 3 males & a fem
Redhead,260
Greater Scaup,230
Surf Scoter,1 adult male
White-winged Scoter,3
Bufflehead,17
Common Merganser,170
Bald Eagle,1 adult

—REYNOLDS CREEK G.H.A.
Northern Harrier,4 – 3 juvs & a first-cycle male
Red-shouldered Hawk,2- adult & imm
Red-tailed Hawk,3
Rough-legged Hawk,1 light-morph sub-adult male
American Kestrel,1
American Tree Sparrow,34

—TRAIL CREEK (in Michigan City)
Canada Goose,200