Date: 1/26/19 11:15 am
From: <hilton...> <hilton...>
Subject: Hilton Pond 12/23/18 (End-of-Year Banding Summary)
It takes a long time to compile, interpret, write up, and illustrate our annual end-of-year Bird Banding Summary, but I think it’s worth it to let folks know latest results of our long-term avian research at Hilton Pond Center. I’ve just completed the report and posted it as Installment #685 of “This Week at Hilton Pond” for 23-31 Dec 2018.

If you’re into numbers and charts there are plenty of both, but I’ve also included lots of photos of birds encountered during the year. There are special subsections about our Ruby-throated Hummingbird project, foreign encounters of birds banded at the Center (long-distance migration!), returns/recaptures that tell about bird longevity and site fidelity, and local nesting species. And along with the annual summary there is the usual tally of birds banded or recaptured during the last week in December.

At the end of the post are lists acknowledging recent contributors and everyone who donated through Facebook campaigns during the last half of 2018. The photo essay is at https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__www.hiltonpond.org_ThisWeek181223.html&d=DwIFaQ&c=imBPVzF25OnBgGmVOlcsiEgHoG1i6YHLR0Sj_gZ4adc&r=ymRCw6Q-sBitug_rdeO1Tokz-I_SX2LQN2_Ocvlal9U&m=YT9kkO_ykA8NeP4mEAzZmU1w_HcQ-OjJQ7a41dXvuwM&s=gNn3Q97dv6WBuP2hgRlYfRFAqpPM0262PjJ_WLtjQfE&e= <https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__www.hiltonpond.org_ThisWeek181223.html&d=DwIFaQ&c=imBPVzF25OnBgGmVOlcsiEgHoG1i6YHLR0Sj_gZ4adc&r=ymRCw6Q-sBitug_rdeO1Tokz-I_SX2LQN2_Ocvlal9U&m=YT9kkO_ykA8NeP4mEAzZmU1w_HcQ-OjJQ7a41dXvuwM&s=gNn3Q97dv6WBuP2hgRlYfRFAqpPM0262PjJ_WLtjQfE&e=> . Please take a look and let us know what you think.

Happy (Mid-winter) Nature Watching!

BILL

Please "Like" our new Facebook pages at https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__www.facebook.com_HiltonPond&d=DwIFaQ&c=imBPVzF25OnBgGmVOlcsiEgHoG1i6YHLR0Sj_gZ4adc&r=ymRCw6Q-sBitug_rdeO1Tokz-I_SX2LQN2_Ocvlal9U&m=YT9kkO_ykA8NeP4mEAzZmU1w_HcQ-OjJQ7a41dXvuwM&s=tLtc-FKk2L9Jm2c7TCsOPvpuoJe0zrC04wCCB9Vptvc&e= for timely updates on nature topics,
and for info about hummingbirds at https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__www.facebook.com_rubythroats&d=DwIFaQ&c=imBPVzF25OnBgGmVOlcsiEgHoG1i6YHLR0Sj_gZ4adc&r=ymRCw6Q-sBitug_rdeO1Tokz-I_SX2LQN2_Ocvlal9U&m=YT9kkO_ykA8NeP4mEAzZmU1w_HcQ-OjJQ7a41dXvuwM&s=AdNTR_jTybgz8pfmbbNmEEwAgszXa1maiSjVeXNulcQ&e=

Follow us on Twitter @hiltonpond

========

DR. BILL HILTON JR., Executive Director
office & cell (803) 684-5852

The mission of Hilton Pond Center for Piedmont Natural History is "to conserve plants, animals, habitats, and other natural components of the Piedmont Region of the eastern United States through observation, scientific study, and education for students of all ages.

"Never trust a person too lazy to get up for sunrise or too busy to watch the sunset." BHjr.

Join us on Facebook!