Date: 1/25/19 2:51 pm
From: Frank Mantlik via CTBirds <ctbirds...>
Subject: Re: [CT Birds] Hammonasset - Request for info
Hi Gina,
I birded Hammo on 1/23. At Meigs Pt nature Center lot there was 1 LAPLAND LONGSPUR among the Horned Lark flock (though Russ saw 2 recently I believe). The Moraine trail had 3 COMMON EIDERS, several Surf Scoters, both loons, Great Corm, Horned Grebe, RB Nuthatch, and a large flock of shorebirds (4 BB Plovers, 44 Ruddy Turnstones, 200 Dunlin) on the gravel bar at the end. I believe John O. saw an Iceland Gull there 1/21, and Micky K. had been seeing a RAZORBILL there about 2 weeks ago (but not since?). I did not walk Willard's Is. nor the Campground, so don't know what's been there recently.
One or two AM. BITTERNS were being seen at the Boulder Pond marsh, but I think they've been frozen out of there with the recent cold snap. Today Jamie M. saw 2 TRUMPETER SWANS fly over.
I hope this is helpful, and that you have a productive trip Sunday.
Frank MantlikStratford
On Friday, January 25, 2019, 2:48:13 PM EST, Gina Nichol via CTBirds <ctbirds...> wrote:

Greetings Birders,
I am a member of the Ralph T. Waterman Bird Club in Dutchess County, New
York. On Sunday, Jan 27, a group of Waterman members will be visiting
Hammonasset State Park on a field trip.  Steve Bird and I have
volunteered to lead this field trip for them.  We've just returned from
an overseas trip so have been out of the loop for a few weeks.  We'll be
scouting in advance, checking the list serve and checking eBird in
preparation for this field trip.  In addition, if anyone has any inside
info they want to share about birds currently in the park, we'd love to
hear it.

Thanks so much,
Gina & Steve

Gina Beebe Nichol
Sunrise Birding LLC
Worldwide Bird Watching Tours & Wildlife Safaris
PO Box 274, Cos Cob, CT 06807
<gina...>
www.sunrisebirding.com
USA 203.453.6724