Date: 1/25/19 2:43 pm
From: Lisa Larson <lisafaylarson...>
Subject: [MBBIRDS] This morning at New Brighton Beach
Hello Birders,

I walked from New Brighton to Seacliff Beach this morning from 8-10 and I
was happy to see more shorebirds there than I have seen in quite a while.
Most likely because it is January and today is a weekday. There were 7
Willets, a Whimbrel and about 10 Long-billed Curlews. I can't recall the
last time I saw Willets on New Brighton Beach! The Sanderlings numbered
about 80, and they let me walk gingerly past them as I averted my eyes. I
was surprised to see a Forster's Tern on the beach amid a small group of
Ring-billed gulls and a couple of CA Gulls. It was shy, and took off to sea
as I approached. Its legs were a very intense red - more so than I had ever
noted before - but then, I typically see them flying. At first my heart
skipped a beat or two as I thought I may be seeing something unusual - and
of course I had no camera. It was a handsome bird. I didn't see any others
at all. Is it unusual to see one on the beach there?

Happy birding,
-Lisa