Date: 1/24/19 6:01 pm
From: Harold A. Yocum <drhal2...>
Subject: Re: Interesting bird interactions at Lake Waurika today
Thanks Jimmy. Seeing those kinds of things make birding so interesting and more fun as well as educational for us.
I got watch a northern harrier really work some of the grasslands today at Mitch. It just floated around for several minutes less than 20-30 feet above the ground while moving it’s head left and right. A couple times it suddenly dove into the grass or hovered at one spot. I was sure it would get something. But I never saw any prey in it’s feet. Eventually it drifted out of sight.
Very nice to watch.
Hal

Sent from my iPhone

> On Jan 24, 2019, at 6:41 PM, Jimmy Woodard <j.woodard...> wrote:
>
> I was able to observe two interesting interactions today.
>
> #1)….A Barred Owl hovered next to the road very close to me. It dropped into the tall grass and came out with a
> large rat. Immediately, it was attacked by a Red-tailed Hawk and both birds dropped into the grass under a tree.
> Within seconds, the Red-tailed came back out without the rat. I could see the Barred Owl mantling over it’s prey
> under the tree. It saw me watching and moved over into some taller grass. Shortly thereafter, another Red-tailed
> came flying in and perched atop the tree the owl was under. I could see the owl was clearly agitated so I moved on.
> I came back later and did not find any evidence of the three birds or the rat.
>
> #2)….I was hiking thru the tall, grassy field near the entrance to the Kiowa Campground just west of the dam. I had
> flushed and got good looks at two LeConte’s Sparrow. As I flushed a third one very close to me, it flew low over
> the tall grass and a Loggerhead Shrike quickly flew in and tried to attack the sparrow. The sparrow dove into cover
> and the shrike landed in a nearby, small tree. I skirted the area where the sparrow landed so as not to flush it again
> and possibly get it eaten by the shrike.
>
> It was a beautiful day to be out as temps warmed to the low 50’s and the wind was light to calm. The lake was very
> smooth although there wasn’t a lot on it other than some ducks near the dam. I did find a female Surf Scoter just
> West of the intake tower about mid-morning.
>
> Jimmy Woodard
> Midwest City, OK

Join us on Facebook!