Date: 1/24/19 4:41 pm
From: Jimmy Woodard <j.woodard...>
Subject: Interesting bird interactions at Lake Waurika today
I was able to observe two interesting interactions today.

#1)..A Barred Owl hovered next to the road very close to me.
It dropped into the tall grass and came out with a

large rat. Immediately, it was attacked by a Red-tailed Hawk
and both birds dropped into the grass under a tree.

Within seconds, the Red-tailed came back out without the rat.
I could see the Barred Owl mantling over it's prey

under the tree. It saw me watching and moved over into some
taller grass. Shortly thereafter, another Red-tailed

came flying in and perched atop the tree the owl was under. I
could see the owl was clearly agitated so I moved on.

I came back later and did not find any evidence of the three
birds or the rat.

#2)..I was hiking thru the tall, grassy field near the
entrance to the Kiowa Campground just west of the dam. I had

flushed and got good looks at two LeConte's Sparrow. As I
flushed a third one very close to me, it flew low over

the tall grass and a Loggerhead Shrike quickly flew in and
tried to attack the sparrow. The sparrow dove into cover

and the shrike landed in a nearby, small tree. I skirted the
area where the sparrow landed so as not to flush it again

and possibly get it eaten by the shrike.

It was a beautiful day to be out as temps warmed to the low
50's and the wind was light to calm. The lake was very

smooth although there wasn't a lot on it other than some
ducks near the dam. I did find a female Surf Scoter just

West of the intake tower about mid-morning.

Jimmy Woodard

Midwest City, OK

Join us on Facebook!