Date: 1/24/19 4:13 pm
From: Florence Sanchez via Groups.Io <sanchezucsb11=<yahoo.com...>
Subject: [sbcobirding] Mountain birding
. . .is pretty quiet right now.  At least East Pinery Road was almost dead, even though it was a beautiful morning and viewing conditions were excellent.  I've run into this before in our mountains, but it was a little frustrating.   The only Montane species I found at East Pinery Road was a heard-only Mountain Chickadee.  Even the oak woodland/chaparral birds were pretty quiet.  I turned up only one Fox Sparrow (Sooty).  The usual "Fox Sparrow city" at the end of the keyhole was also dead.
I ate lunch at the Sawmill Basin (Tunnell Road) and there was a little more activity there, but again from only Oak Woodland species, though I did hear three times a Steller's Jay call.
Thanks to all who replied to my request for info abut the road conditions.   They are O.K. but there are new large boulders at the road edge in a couple of places that have to be negotiated carefully.   Also some new downed trees.
I check out the mountain again in a few weeks.
Florence Sanchez

View/Reply Online (#28364): https://sbcobirding.groups.io/g/main/message/28364
-=-=-
-=-=-