Date: 1/23/19 12:03 pm
Subject: Jordan Lake gulls--follow-up
The Jordan Lake level this morning was 217.44 feet, so just a foot or so
above the main pool level--i.e., normal for this time of year. So, I went
out to count the Ring-billed Gulls coming off the lake and heading to the
South Wake County Landfill.

At dawn, it was obvious that the number of gulls roosting on the lake was
much larger than what I saw on December 30th, the day of the Jordan Lake
Christmas Bird Count. However, I could not count them on the water,
because the heat shimmer was too intense, and they were too far away from
my position on the shore at the Ebenezer Boat Ramp. So I went up to the
road just off the Beaver Creek bridge and waited for the gulls to start
flying over.

At about 7:00 AM, the onslaught began. Counting by 50s, the easiest number
for me to estimate at one time, and using my trusty digital counter, I
estimated about 10,000 gulls in all. About 9,000 gulls flew east over the
bridge, and another 1,000 or so remained on the lake.

On the Jordan Lake CBC, when the lake level was 16 feet above normal, there
were about 2,000 gulls near Ebenezer, about 5,000 further north between
Farrington and White Oak Creek, and about 3,000 at Harris Lake. That's a
total of 10,000 gulls.

I could only count at Ebenezer this morning, because I could not be in 3
places at once (hmm!), but I wonder if the 10,000 CBC gulls have now
coalesced to roost together at Ebenezer as they have in previous years.
Perhaps the lake level has something to do with their dispersal in December.

Ten thousand is still a much reduced number from the 30,000 to 45,000 gulls
we have counted in previous years.

--
Norm Budnitz
Orange County