Date: 1/23/19 3:22 am
From: August Mirabella <00000010a3d6847b-dmarc-request...>
Subject: Probable female Barrow's Goldeneye at Nockamxon St. Pk. 1/22
All,A single female goldeneye flew in from the west and landed at the boat rental area, was diving almost all the time it was there for about 15 minutes, and then took off to the west. It was the only goldeneye at that spot. It could not be relocated at the Marina or Tohickon Boat Access (TBA). There were 20-25 Common Goldeneyes at TBA.
The solo bird had a completely bright yellow/orange bill and likely darker head and steep slope to forehead compared to mostly dark bill, lighter head, and gradual slope to forehead typical of Common Goldeneye. Some Common Goldeneyes can have significant yellow on the bill, but I have never seen one this bright.The bill also looked stubby compared to Common Goldeneye. Pictures were poor as it was about 900 to 1200 feet away, and it was diving so much, not to mention my hitting the wrong button on the camera resulting in a long video. So, this is alerting you to its possible presence tomorrow and asking for opinions and hopefully better pictures if you see it. These links I hope get you to Flickr.https://flic.kr/p/QBxpaP
https://flic.kr/p/2enQPbV

The Boat Rental area road access is closed to vehicles. I walked one mile from the Fishing Pier, but the bike path has some serious ice issues. I got around the ice but beware. It is actually shorter to walk from the park office on Rt 563 or even from the Marina. The bird if present probably would be more likely be with the goldeneye flock at TBA.
Thanks,August MirabellaNorth Wales, PA

Join us on Facebook!