Date: 1/23/19 3:17 am
From: Frank Mantlik via CTBirds <ctbirds...>
Subject: [CT Birds] Incredible bird flocks
1/22. Stratford, Short Beach - Late afternoon Stefan Martin and I counted a flock of 17 WHITE-CROWNED SPARROWS feeding on the small patch of lawn along the north side of the tennis courts. All were immatures. (There were also numerous Song and American Tree Sparrows.) I have never seen such a large flock of this species in CT before, and certainly not in mid-winter! Where did they all come from?

Likewise, on Jan. 19, at Hoyden’s Hill Open Space in Fairfield, Jory Teltser and Aidan Kiley flushed one flock of 53 NORTHERN CARDINALS from near the police shooting range at the north end. That number perhaps rivals the numbers that Bob Dixon counts at his extensive feeding station.

Also on Tuesday, 5 GREEN-WINGED TEAL (3 males), 2 PIED-BILLED GREBES, and 3 AM. COOTS were at Birdseye St boatramp in Stratford.

Frank Mantlik
Stratford

Sent from my iPhone