Date: 1/22/19 8:26 pm
From: Kevin M Doyle via CTBirds <ctbirds...>
Subject: [CT Birds] Common Loons
Today while roaming at Stratford Point I noticed an abundance of Common Loons. I usually see one here and there but never like the numbers today. Counting there may have been better than 40 many swimming in groups of 5-7. On the Short Beach side of the trail many feeding only few yards from shore with a receding tide giving very good photo looks. Following the trail out and around towards the lighthouse the numbers were greater as mentioned in their groups. Watching apparently the leader dive the others followed suit. Far from a loon expert any thoughts as to why so many chose these waters and what are the chances of them hanging out for a while.

A note on the common eiders I witnessed them last Friday the day before the storm swimming in a group starting at the base of the lighthouse around to where they feed between the 2 benches. They made no effort to feed until they reached this spot. The group of 9 ate for maybe 10 minutes then again the leader started swimming out towards the green bouy marker (bell) with the others right behind it.

I kind of wonder if they knew the weather was going to change against them and they headed out to sea.

They were not seen today at least at Stratford Point.

Kevin Doyle
New Milford  CT
<Kevindoyle1969...>

⁣Sent from BlueMail ​