Date: 1/22/19 3:05 pm
From: David Suddjian <dsuddjian...>
Subject: [cobirds] Backyard Swamp Sparrow, Ken Caryl, Jefferson Co Jan 22
This afternoon a *Swamp Sparrow* made an unexpected visit to my front yard
feeding station, out of its usual habitat. It remained in one spot where
there was seed on the ground for a few minutes - long enough for me to get
out my scope and take a few pictures with my iPhone. Then it flushed and
was not to be seen.

[image: IMG_4544.jpg]

A while later I spotted it in an isolated deciduous shrub near a parked
car. It remained in that shrub for at least 20 minutes, lurking in the
dense thicket of stems. As I looked around, it was probably the item of
vegetation in the yard that is closest in density and verticality to the
usual marsh or weed patch. Mostly it just sat still in there, not moving
much at all for extended periods, but for the turning of its head. The bird
is in the shrub in the photo below - you just can't see it. Later it
slipped away, unnoticed as they do.

[image: IMG_4562.jpg]

Two more photos are on this checklist, including an interesting face-on
view and one (though blurry) of the bird taking flight as it flushed.

https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S51941626

David Suddjian
Ken Caryl Valley
Littleton, CO