Date: 1/22/19 12:54 pm
From: Spector, David \(Biology\) via CTBirds <ctbirds...>
Subject: Re: [CT Birds] Chickadee ID Help
The whistled song (fee bee-ee) of the Black-capped Chickadee is learned. While there is undoubtedly some genetic basis for the general structure of the song, there is no known genetic variation in preference for learning details. Captive-reared Black-capped Chickadees readily learn Carolina Chickadee songs.*

Although there is remarkable consistency in this song across the continental range of the Black-capped Chickadee, consistency that is unusual for the song of an oscine songbird, there is occasional individual variation and a few locations with considerable variation. One such location is here in southern New England, Martha's Vineyard.**

Given the extreme similarity in plumage, and given the ability of the birds to learn songs, one can not assume that an odd song recorded in the overlap zone is produced by a hybrid individual.

Absent plumage details or DNA evidence suggesting otherwise, I would guess that an individual chickadee in Connecticut with an odd song is a Black-capped Chickadee singing an odd song.

David Spector
Belchertown, Massachusetts

* See details here: https://sora.unm.edu/node/25481
** See details here: https://sora.unm.edu/node/26066