Date: 1/20/19 3:39 pm
From: Adrian Burke <aburke173...>
Subject: Re: feeder density question
Regarding the Tufted Titmouse specifically, perhaps a somewhat irruptive
movement of the species is at play. Speaking from experience birding New
York City (where I live), it is clear that numbers of Tufted Titmouse vary
greatly year to year in the fall and winter. In Central Park, for example,
Tufted Titmouse is a scarce breeder, so it is therefore obvious when
numbers greatly increase in the fall/winter, as they have this season, for
example. In some years, only a few are seen in the entirety of Central Park
on the CBC. This winter (and some others), a walk through the park will get
you at least 20 or so, and a lengthy walk could easily get you upwards of
50. Perhaps breeders from Pennsylvania or other nearby forested regions are
irrupting/migrating into the NYC area in these years of local abundance.

It would be very interesting to know the cause of the irregular migrations
of this species and others which are not typically thought of as migrants,
but which clearly do undergo extensive movements in some years, such as
Black-capped Chickadee, Red-bellied Woodpecker, etc., revealed by changing
numbers in areas where these species are not always present such as NYC
parks and along the Atlantic Coast.

Good birding,

Adrian Burke
Manhattan, New York

On Sun, Jan 20, 2019 at 6:12 PM Jason Verdier <
<0000001361c1d04c-dmarc-request...> wrote:

> I have said the same thing regarding the Tufted Titmouse. 3 years ago I
> had 3-5 at my feeders all winter, the last 2 years, I barely see them, and
> have yet to have one in 2019....
>
> Sent from AOL Mobile Mail
> Get the new AOL app: mail.mobile.aol.com
> On Sunday, January 20, 2019, Katrina Knight <kknight...> wrote:
>
> At 05:15 PM 1/20/2019 tom and sheri wrote:
> >Very unscientific. My and all friends and family have observed
> >a marked decline in numbers of birds at feeding stations. Some
> >maybe be due to the - so far- mild winter. It is my
> >observation that when there is little to no snow cover, species
> >disperse.
> >Has anyone noticed similar conditions?
> >
> >If so, what do you attribute it to?
>
> I think the weather probably has something to do with birds not
> being at feeders, but there seems to be a disturbing lack of
> some species anywhere locally, not just at feeders. I did three
> Christmas Bird Counts and could not find a single Tufted
> Titmouse. Other participants found a few of them, but the totals
> for all three were way low. Chickadees and crows were difficult
> to find too. One idea that people are tossing around is that the
> excessively wet summer resulted in more mosquitos, resulting in
> higher levels of West Nile disease. Whether that's the right
> explanation I don't know, but it seems like a reasonable theory.
>

> --
> Katrina Knight
> <kknight...>
> Reading, PA, USA