Date: 1/20/19 1:28 pm
From: Jane Stein <jeshawks...>
Subject: Re: [VTBIRD] Barred owl Rutland
Oh, there's a thought with the mouse corpses. Thanks, Helena. If I can
slog my way through this snow, I may try that, although mice tend to be
deep in their burrows this time of year and not invading my house to be
snapped! In future, maybe I'll put some deceased mice from the late fall
home invasion push in my freezer, but for the next months, the cupboard
will be bare. My next-door neighbor, half a mile down the road, has horses
and surely lots of mice year-round, but she and they go on vacay for the
winter months. The house on the other side is on the market and vacant for
now. Nuts!

I worry that my doing that, though, would further stress any owl in the
vicinity, which I surely don't want to do. I wouldn't dream of trying to
capture one for that reason alone. Any owl weak enough from near
starvation to allow itself to be captured by an amateur like me, however
well coached, would be impossibly stressed by the experience, I would
think,.and likely not savable anyway, no?

On Sun, 20 Jan 2019 16:14:07 -0500, H Nicolay <sqrlma...> wrote:
> Hi Jane and all. Under the Vermont fish and wildlife website there is a
> list of raptor rehabilitators. Myself among them are ready to help any
owl
> in need. Please seek advice first from a Rehabber safest way to capture
> raptor. I believe their talons exert 600 pounds of pressure per inch.
> Helena Nicolay. North stream wildlife rescue. Monkton. Ps. Whoever snap
> traps mice invading homes, one can always place mice on low tree
branches
> for owls and ravens and crows.
>
> On Sun, Jan 20, 2019, 4:05 PM Jane Stein <jeshawks...> wrote:
>
>> This kind of snowfall is particularly hard on Barred Owls because they
>> can't dive deep enough to catch a mouse underneath even if they can
hear
>> it
>> clearly through a foot-plus of snow. It will get worse, too, as this
>> snow
>> packs down on itself and gets really impenetrable. I remember one very
>> snowy winter that went on and on and on some years ago when there were
>> barred owls everywhere sitting out on fenceposts and lower tree
branches
>> during the daylight hours, until they were so weak from hunger, they
>> couldn't manage a pounce anyway, and they were falling off dead.
>> Horrible
>> to see, but what can you do?
>>

>> On Sun, 20 Jan 2019 15:36:36 -0500, Eugenia Cooke <euge24241...>
>> wrote:
>> > Large and beautiful barred owl surveying my yard an hour ago. Very
rare
>> > here! No Flickr account. I never see people sending pics on vtbird,
>> > just
>> > links, so won't unless advised it's okay to do so.

Join us on Facebook!