Date: 1/20/19 1:05 pm
From: Jane Stein <jeshawks...>
Subject: Re: [VTBIRD] Barred owl Rutland
This kind of snowfall is particularly hard on Barred Owls because they
can't dive deep enough to catch a mouse underneath even if they can hear it
clearly through a foot-plus of snow. It will get worse, too, as this snow
packs down on itself and gets really impenetrable. I remember one very
snowy winter that went on and on and on some years ago when there were
barred owls everywhere sitting out on fenceposts and lower tree branches
during the daylight hours, until they were so weak from hunger, they
couldn't manage a pounce anyway, and they were falling off dead. Horrible
to see, but what can you do?

On Sun, 20 Jan 2019 15:36:36 -0500, Eugenia Cooke <euge24241...>
wrote:
> Large and beautiful barred owl surveying my yard an hour ago. Very rare
> here! No Flickr account. I never see people sending pics on vtbird, just
> links, so won't unless advised it's okay to do so.

Join us on Facebook!