Date: 1/20/19 11:36 am
From: David Lawrence <dmlawrencephotography...>
Subject: [slocobirding] MBWBF Pelagic Trip 1/19/19
Greetings,

Yesterday’s MBWBF off-shore all-day boat trip for pelagic species had overall small numbers of birds (maybe a dozen total shearwaters, for instance….) yet a rewarding species mix. Two albatross species (Laysan Albatross has not been seen for some years on a pelagic trip out of Morro Bay), 4 shearwater species (including Short-tailed Shearwater and an out-or-season Buller’s Shearwater), and 2 Black-legged Kitiwakes (I saw half of them…) were notable. The extended intervals between sightings could be overlooked by the relatively warm conditions (for off-shore SLO-County in January) and changing light winds that left the mid-day ocean still rolling but glassy and reflective, though angry and disorganized by the huge swell of prior days (that flattened noticeably as the trip progressed.) I’ve included photos of some of the birds seen at: http://flickr.com/photos/dave_lawrence <http://flickr.com/photos/dave_lawrence>

My thanks to the leaders and the greatly appreciated efforts of those organizing this excellent Morro Bay Winter Bird Festival.

Dave Lawrence
Arroyo Grande