Date: 1/19/19 1:41 pm
From: 'Soheil Zendeh' <sohzendeh...> [arlingtonbirds] <arlingtonbirds-noreply...>
Subject: [Arlington Birds] Cancellation: Bear Creek walk on Sunday, 1/20
Folks,

We are canceling the Bear Creek walk for Sunday, January 20. Weather
permitting, we will resume the walks next week, Sunday January 27 at 9 am.

Here are the details if you want to attend one of our walks:

Bear Creek is an upland grassland sanctuary built on the Wheelabrator
(formerly RESCO) landfill at the northern end of Rumney Marsh in Saugus and
Revere. Access information is below. Wear good walking shoes and be prepared
to hike 3 – 4 miles. The property is mostly very open, so be prepared for
sun, wind and weather.

This walk is free and open to the public, but also note that this property
is accessible by invitation only and visitors need to be chaperoned at all
times. Please allow roughly 4 hours for this field trip. The actual length
of the trip depends on conditions and the birds present. It's usually
difficult to break up the party if you need to be somewhere in the early
afternoon. Come prepared to stay with the group.

Wheelabrator company has graciously stocked up on some extra pairs of
binoculars, so if you or someone you know wants to learn about birds and
birding, come on down. Please let me know you’re coming so we can have a
head count.

Bear Creek sanctuary access is via the Wheelabrator plant, 100 Salem
Turnpike (Rte 107), Saugus. The rotary at the intersection of Rtes 60 and
107 is about 1˝ miles southwest of the plant and about 1 mile east of Rte 1
exit on Rte 60. When traveling northeast on 107, if you go over the Ballard
Street bridge (just after a set of lights) you’ve gone too far — turn back.
Here is a link to google maps:

http://tinyurl.com/326v87d

When you arrive, drive through the plant gates, park in the parking lot
immediately and wait for the group. Please do not drive farther into the
property without an escort.

Soheil Zendeh

Lexington, MA 02421

Join us on Facebook!