Date: 1/18/19 1:46 pm
From: Jane Stein <jeshawks...>
Subject: Re: [VTBIRD] Amazon Prime
There was a highly praised movie some years ago, can't remember the name,
that made me almost come screaming out of my seat when loon calls were
heard as the actors were strolling by a frozen lake bundled up in winter
clothes. Arrrgggh.

Jane
(Shoreham)

On Fri, 18 Jan 2019 14:41:39 -0500, "Teage O'Connor"
<badger.meli...> wrote:
> My sister's a director and I was always gripe that the bird sounds in
> movies rarely have any correlation to the birds that might occur on
screen,
> the time of year, or even geographic location. Has any director even
heard
> a bald eagle make a noise? I always offer my consulting services to her
> director friends. Alas, no one's taken me up on the offer.
>
> Teage O'Connor
> Crow's Path <https://crowspath.org> | Phyllotaxy <http://phyllotaxy.com>
|
> Instagram <https://instagram.com/phyllotaxyvt> | Blog
> <http://phyllotaxy.com/blog>
>
> *Subscribe to my monthly natural history newsletter
> <http://phyllotaxy.com/newsletter-signup/>*
>

> On Fri, 18 Jan 2019 at 08:26, Ted Levin <tedlevin1966...> wrote:
>
>> FYI: For those of you who subscribe to Amazon Prime, there is a very
>> funny,
>> very Jewish comedy *The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel* about an aspiring female
>> comedian in the mid- to late-fifties. The show takes place mostly on
the
>> Upper West of Manhattan, with jaunts into coffee houses in the Village
>> and
>> up to resorts in the Catskills.
>>
>> The point of this email is that during several episodes in the second
>> year
>> (2018) the family spends the summer at Steiner's in the Borscht Belt,
one
>> of many Jewish resorts in the Catskills that were popular in the 40s,
>> 50s,
>> 60s, and 70s. In one episode, for a mere 15 seconds, there is a clip of
>> bird walk; the leader stops everyone, shooshes them, and then points
out
>> singing Bicknell's thrush, which is *not* singing a thrush song. Of
>> course,
>> in 1959 there were no Bicknell thrushes; they were all considered
>> gray-cheeks until Chris Rimmer and company separated them out, forty
plus
>> years later.
>>
>> Ted

Join us on Facebook!