Date: 1/18/19 12:13 pm
From: Sheridan Brown (Grantham, NH) <birds...>
Subject: Re: [VTBIRD] goldfinch with eye infection
Please see these tips from Cornell Lab of Ornithology re caring for this bird and others.

In these situations, it is crucial for birdwatchers to take steps to prevent transmission of the disease with proper feeder sterilization and sanitary practices. These eye diseases often spread when birds put their heads in contaminated feeder ports.

https://feederwatch.org/learn/sick-birds-and-bird-diseases/

Sheridan Brown
Grantham, NH

> On Jan 18, 2019, at 2:36 PM, Kent McFarland <kmcfarland...> wrote:
>
> Here's more on what you likely have:
> http://static.birds.cornell.edu/hofi/hofifaqs.html
> Most notably here is to immediate take down your feeders, clean them with
> 10% solution of bleach and clean up area.
>
> ____________________________
>
> Kent McFarland
> Vermont Center for Ecostudies
> PO Box 420 | Norwich, Vermont 05055
> 802.649.1431 x201
> @KPMcFarland <https://twitter.com/KPMcFarland>
> Visit the Vermont Atlas of Life <http://val.vtecostudies.org>
> <https://vtecostudies.org/>
>

>> On Fri, Jan 18, 2019 at 1:50 PM Eugenia Cooke <euge24241...> wrote:
>>
>> VINS might take it. 802-359-5001.
>> They rarely answer the phone so leave a detailed message and they'll call
>> you back.
>>
>> On Fri, Jan 18, 2019, 12:19 PM Andrea Landsberg <
>> <andrea.landsberg...> wrote:
>>
>>> Does anyone have an idea of what type of eye drop I can use to treat a
>>> goldfinch with eye infection?
>>> I found it this morning sitting in the snow under a bird feeder - I think
>>> I saw this bird when it only had one eye infected about a week ago (let
>> me
>>> come up to it on one side but then saw me and flew off). Now I could
>>> easily catch it from behind and saw that both eyes were sealed shut.
>>> Managed to get one to open using some warm water. It reacts loudly when
>>> handled so I'm hoping it my be strong enough to make it? But think it
>> will
>>> need some sort of treatment?
>>> Or I would be willing to take it to a certified rehaber if anyone knows
>>> who would take a finch....
>>> Just couldn't let it sit there in snow to die!
>>> Thanks,
>>> Andrea

Join us on Facebook!