Date: 1/11/19 10:51 pm
From: Paul Stensvaag <red.tail1960...> [ILbirds] <ILbirds-noreply...>
Subject: Re: IBET Absence of Tree Sparrows (no sightings)
All summer through today have seen few tree sparrows, but it is a warm
winter and migration may be further north at present. However since
mid-summer thru today, the RBNH and WHBN are in active presence all day. +
the RBwoodpecker is a daily visitor to suet feeders. Your observations
may be local, Am no expert, just a life long observer of bird behaviours.

Also, please explain: how did the Tree Sparrow get its name, since
breeding and sourcing food in the prairie ? Have never seen one or many in
a tree!

Cheers,

Paul, NW Cook.

On Fri, Jan 11, 2019 at 4:28 PM Christopher Cudworth <cudworthfix...>
[ILbirds] <ILbirds-noreply...> wrote:

> Last winter there were more than a dozen tree sparrows at our feeder,
> which backs up to ideal habitat with mixed grasses and wetlands. This year,
> I had two birds earlier in the winter and now, nothing.
>
> In fact the dearth of birds in general is rather perplexing, but they
> vanish during warmer spells and that explains some of it. So do the kickass
> feeders at my neighbor's house two doors down.
>
> We have light attendance by WBNH and RBNH are rare. For a month we had
> three whole pairs of Downy, Hairy and Red-Bellied Woodpeckers on the suet
> feeders. That quieted down enormously.
>
> Will be interesting to see what the snow does to their feeding habits.
> Anyone else noticed similar trends?
>
> --
> Christopher Cudworth
> 3C Creative Marketing