Date: 1/11/19 10:54 am
From: Romain Cooper <romain...>
Subject: [obol] Re: Nice January walk in California? No, Polk County, Oregon
This is an excerpt from a post I sent to OBOL on
6/19/2014 re: Great-tailed Grackle at the Cave
Jct sewage treatment plant, Illinois Valley,
Josephine Co. Unfortunately, the facility no
longer allows access to birders. Many of the
ponds are viewable (using a scope) from outside
the chainlink fence but the bad part about this
is that the decent viewing opportunity is due to
an almost total eradication of the wetlands vegetations that the site once had.

This morning (6/19/2014), we visited the Cave
Junction oxidation ponds. Great-Tailed Grackle
are still around. A male was very obvious &
vocal. The female was more cautious but we
observed her bringing food items into a thick
clump of cattail 3 times. We strongly suspect nesting.

Other birds at the Cave Jct plant included Wood
Duck and Mallard w/ young, Green Heron, (2)
Pied-Billed Grebe, Black Phoebe with youngsters
on nest (on side of a building).

Romain Cooper
10398 Takilma Road
Cave Junction, OR 97523