Date: 1/11/19 8:29 am
From: <clearwater...>
Subject: [obol] Re: Nice January walk in California? No, Polk County, Oregon
Thanks for the summary of changes in the Rogue Valley, Harry!

California Towhees seem to have found their way into the Umpqua Valley where Matt Hunter et al. have been finding them with some regularity, as far north as Roseburg.

Wrentits could be found as far north as Saddleback Mountain in the Coast Range west of Grand Ronde, back in the 1940s when Jane Claire Dirks-Edmunds and her colleagues from Linfield College found them as part of an effort to document all flora and fauna in a study area (later described in her book, "Not Just Trees," published by Washington State University Press). That followed a wave of logging in the 1930s-40s, which left a lot of brushy habitat. After that, they seemed to go through a range contraction, but they've been expanding again in recent decades, following the logging boom of the 1970s-1980s.

In 2002 Matt Hunter documented the first part of this re-expansion in an Oregon Birds article. That year we recorded 3 on the first Airlie-Albany CBC, all of them up in Dunn Forest as I recall. On last Saturday's count, we found a total of 28, including one singing in the south unit of Luckiamute State Natural Area, within 50 yards of the Willamette River.