Date: 1/10/19 11:06 pm
From: Noah Arthur <semirelicta...> [NEBirds] <NEBirds...>
Subject: Re: [NEBirds] BOL Mountain Bluebird: maybe a Western?
I just looked at today’s photos of the BOL bluebird, and it looks fine for a Mountain to me. (Probably a 1st-winter male.) Western Bluebird is common where I’m from in coastal California, and this bird would immediately stick out as a Mountain Bluebird if seen there. It’s too pale sky-blue for any plumage of Western, and lacks the distinct deep rust breast of a male Western. A female Western would be grayer (less blue) overall, and would still have more rust on the breast.
Boni’s photos of the BOL bird show brownish feathers admixed with the blue not only on the breast (where expected for Western or hybrid), but also on top of the head and elsewhere, so I think these are just remnants of a brown immature plumage.
Noah

On Thursday, January 10, 2019, 7:39:35 PM CST, Ross Silcock <silcock...> [NEBirds] <NEBirds...> wrote:

Noah (and others),

Both checklists (Leger, Edwards) with photos are on eBird.

Ross

Ross Silcock

Seasonal Reports Compiler

Nebraska Bird Review