Date: 1/10/19 6:49 pm
From: James Bailey <rivierastarsong...>
Subject: Re: [LACoBirds] Red-Flanked Bluetail - access this Sunday 1/13
Hi all,

In Europe it is common for birders to "tip" organizations or people that helped facilitate a twitch. Since we don't get so many large twitches here, I would imagine some birders here might not be aware of that or even think about that courtesy. I would echo Wim's sentiments. Rebecca and co. have been very benevolent and confiding with birders over access for this bird. Although it was public access to begin with, it isn't uncommon for organizations or institutions to block birders from areas in fear of too much foot traffic, or crowding parking areas for visitors to the actual facilities.

Sometimes "twitchers" are blocked just because of reputation. In England there was a white-throated robin one year and birders were climbing ladders onto the walls and standing on vehicles to try and get a look at the bird in private property. The property owners were not impressed. About 800+ birders on one day I'm told with a few thousand in total that went for the bird. That was an extreme case but sometimes people see birders as a nuisance -- if you can at least tip them for their help on a twitch it can help distill the mood.

See Rebecca's message this morning if you don't mind sparing some change to the Clark Library.

Cheers,
James Bailey
Foothill Ranch (Orange Co.)

-=-=-