Date: 1/10/19 4:58 pm
From: James V Remsen <najames...>
Subject: [LABIRD-L] Couch's Kingbird @ Turtle Cove
LABIRD: This afternoon Josh Sylvest and I found what we are certain is a Couch’s Kingbird near the Turtle Cove Research Station in St. John Par., officially in Akers, LA, on west shore of L. Pontchartrain. We checked the area in recognition of the presence there of both Tropical and Western in late last fall, and when we spotted the kingbird, we tried hard to make it into a (“the?”) Tropical Kingbird. But we both independently worried about bill size and shape, and after an hour of hoping to hear vocalizations, including provocation with tape, we managed to hear it give short “kip” calls a few times, and Josh heard it give a couple of chatters. Although we photo’d and video’d it extensively, we never could get the faint calls on tape, so their is a lingering need for hard documentation if anyone is interested.

The bird moved around constantly but up and down a quarter-mile stretch from Turtle Cove research station entrance N to the boat sheds and “North Manchac” sign on the Amtrak tracks. It likes tallow fruit.

Turtle Cove directions: http://www.southeastern.edu/acad_research/programs/turtle_cove/about_us/directions/index.html

Dr. J. V. Remsen
Prof. of Natural Science and Curator of Birds
Museum of Natural Science/Dept. Biological Sciences
LSU, Baton Rouge, LA 70803
najames<at>LSU.edu

Join us on Facebook!