Date: 1/10/19 2:57 pm
From: Rebecca Fenning Marschall <rutabegabunny...>
Subject: [LACoBirds] Red-Flanked Bluetail - access this Sunday 1/13
Hello all,

Just a few notes about the continuing Red-Flanked Bluetail here at the
Clark Library in Los Angeles.

1. WEEKEND ACCESS 1/13
Though we are normally closed on weekends, the library grounds WILL be open
this Sunday, 1/13 for a chamber music concert in the library's drawing
room. Birders will have access to the grounds from 11am-5pm and the concert
itself will be taking place from 2-4. There are a few additional
restrictions for this Sunday:
** PLEASE park on the street so we can insure parking for as many
concert-goers as possible!
** PLEASE avoid walking on the brick patio & walkways behind the library
between 2 and 4pm, as the concert will be going on in the room just inside!
During the concert, please try to stay behind the hedges near the east and
south walls (which are usually the best spots for viewing the bird anyway).
We do not want the musicians or the audience to be unduly distracted by
people standing just outside. There will be an extra security guard posted
in this area to help direct people and we will also have signage to clarify
which areas are off limits.

2. FUTURE WEEKEND ACCESS
Should the Bluetail continue wintering at the library, there will likely be
birder access to the library grounds during future weekend events that are
listed on our website (https://clarklibrary.ucla.edu/), but it is unlikely
I will be able to open the library on other additional weekend days.
However, I will announce to the list if this changes!

3. ACCESS TOMORROW 1/12
Many people have been arriving earlier than our posted hours and I have
been opening the gates around 8:30 this week, but will not be able to do so
tomorrow. So if you arrive early, just sit tight until 9.

4. THANK YOU!
To those of you who have already visited, my non-birding colleagues and I
have loved having you at the Clark to share in the excitement with us, and
we apologize [again] for the misunderstanding about our closing time (which
really is 5pm!). We were particularly touched by the offer of generosity
suggested yesterday by Wim van Dam. We’re not part of the main UCLA
Library, so we would not receive any donations made through the link Wim
provided (though we are always happy when libraries anywhere receive
support!). If you do feel so moved to give to the Clark, this link will
take you to the giving page for the library & our parent department, the
Center for 17th & 18th Century Studies :
https://giving.ucla.edu/Campaign/Donate.aspx?SiteNum=2467 (More information
is here: http://www.1718.ucla.edu/giving/)

Best wishes and good birding!
Rebecca Marschall