Date: 1/10/19 2:32 pm
From: Boyd Sanders <Boyd.Sanders...>
Subject: [texbirds] Tyler State Park 1-10-2019
Howdy All!

I birded the park late this morning and the birds were very cooperative. Blackjack trail still has Purple Finches including very inquisitive female Purple Finch that followed me for about a quarter of the trail. That are is also good for Fox Sparrow and Eastern Towhee. I haven't found any Spotted Towhees yet, but they are usually in that area. Another bird we will be looking for on this Saturday's bird tour is American Woodcock. We haven't found them yet, but I bet they are there. Lots of winter sparrows around the bird blind at Blackjack Nature Trail, but of course, I didn't have a camera.

The beaver pond on the lake trail is great for woodpeckers; Swamp, Lincoln's, and Song Sparrows; and Winter Wren. The spillway by the lake dam is good for winter sparrows including a LeConte's Sparrow that makes an appearance from time-to-time.

Come on out and join us this weekend: Saturday, January 12 at 8:15am for a birding tour of the park. We are meeting at the park headquarters and then birding in the park from the park's 15 passenger van. We will make stops at Blackjack Nature Trial, the beaver pond, the spillway, and possibly a section of perimeter fire break. The whole tour will take about two hours.

Here's today's list:

Tyler SP (PPW-E 065), Smith, Texas, US
Jan 10, 2019 10:00 AM - 12:00 PM
Protocol: Traveling