Date: 1/10/19 12:03 pm From: <rcd2...> Subject: [wisb] Request for State Totals from Birders
It is the start of a new birding year and, thus, it is that time again to share your birding numbers from the year just past. For those who wish to do so, the WSO will again be publishing in the Badger Birder your totals from 2018. You do not need to be a member of the WSO to participate. Any birder who meets the threshold numbers is welcomed to submit. To do so, one need only reply back channel to this message and share your totals for the following categories. And THANKS for sharing!
--Bob Domagalski, St. Nazianz
1. 2018 Wisconsin Year Total (threshold 200)
2. Wisconsin Life Total (threshold 200)
3. ABA Area Life Total (threshold 400) -The ABA Checklist delineation of the "ABA Area" will be used. Thus the ABA Area encompassed "the 49 continental states of the US plus Hawaii, Canada, the French islands of St. Pierre and Miquelon (which will add numerous birds to most totals), the adjacent waters to a distance of 200 nautical miles from land or half the distance to a neighboring country, whichever is less. Excluded by these boundaries are Bermuda, the Bahamas, and Greenland." Participation in submitting this total is limited to those who have a claim to at least part time residence in Wisconsin.
4. 2018 BIGBY Total (sometimes called a Green Year) with a threshold of 100. This number is the total of species seen by selecting a center point (most likely your residence) and then noting all the birds found when walking, biking, canoeing, etc. from this central location. Any species found with the aid of a motorized form of transportation are not countable.
5. County Life Totals (threshold 125). For any county in which one has found 125 or more species, enter the name of the county followed by the number of species found.