Date: 1/10/19 11:50 am
From: James Pike <jimpike444...>
Subject: Re: [OrangeCountyBirding] Mile Square Regional Park Expansion
The irony is that the trees on the Brookhurst-side of the golf course look
better than those on the regional park side. It once took me eight visits
to refind a Pine Warbler near the Brookhurst course as the bird spent most
of its time in the well-foliaged long-needled pines on the course. Further,
I suspect that orioles have been hard to find this winter as the
red-flowering (ironbark) eucalyptus trees on the David L. Baker golf course
look far fuller and more enticing than the over-trimmed ones off Ward
Street or near the nature center. Why should that be the case, if not a
function of policies that better serve the interests of park personnel
rather than serving the needs of nature, birds and birders? And in that
square-mile of land that encompasses a regional park and three golf
courses, how many ponds are there that are currently devoid of water? I can
only think of one.

Jim Pike
HB