Date: 1/10/19 11:13 am
From: Pat <pvaldata1...>
Subject: Re: [MDBirding] Why are only maybe 5% Purple Finches Adult Male plumage?
I see the opposite in the big rafts of Ringbilled Gulls here. Almost all are in adult plumage; maybe 10% are juvenile.

Pat ValdataCrisfield, MD
-------- Original message --------From: Hugh McGuinness <hdmcguinness...> Date: 1/10/19 1:53 PM (GMT-05:00) To: Cc: <thbeal...>, MDBirds <mdbirding...> Subject: Re: [MDBirding] Why are only maybe 5% Purple Finches Adult Male plumage?
And death rate in adult males must be pretty high.

On Thu, Jan 10, 2019 at 1:23 PM 'Jim Stasz' via Maryland & DC Birding <mdbirding...> wrote:

Immature males are still brown.

Jim Stasz
North Beach MD
<jlstasz...>

In a message dated 1/10/2019 1:07:16 PM Eastern Standard Time, <mdbirding...> writes:

Still getting large numbers of Purple Finches at my backyard feeder in Glenn Dale, MD. As many as 15 at a time. Anybody know why only maybe 1 in 20 are Purple?

Tom Beal
Glenn Dale, MD
Just west of Bowie

Hugh McGuinness